Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Power of Words

I recently watched a fantastic sermon on The Hour of Power. Bobby Shuller talked about the Voice of Love and the power of words. He quoted numerous scriptures that talk about how we are to use our words and what happens when we don't use them wisely. What I found fascinating was when he explained how God used words in the beginning to create everything! We see in John 1:1-2 the incredible importance of the Word:


Not only was the Word with God, but the Word WAS God! If God gave so much importance to the spoken word, wouldn't you agree that we should do the same? We live in a society where words are thrown around so casually. We are encouraged to speak our minds and we do in abundance, often without even thinking of the impact our words are having on the other person. I have struggled in this area for a couple of decades (at least). Have you ever found yourself stewing over something for days and then something happens and... BAM! The words leave your lips and as soon as they do you wish you could grab them back. You watch helplessly as the other person reacts to your onslaught; you see the pain in their eyes.

Do your words harm or heal?

Our words pierce or bring healing; they give life or destroy it. Do you speak life over those around you or do you destroy their dreams - even as an attempt to protect them. Yes, we can have the best of intentions yet cause incredible damage - damage that someone could carry with them for years or even their entire life! I cringe whenever I think back to when my son was young and I would say things that I thought were in his best interest, yet I can remember the look of pain in his eyes. I have made amends with him over this, but the words were poured over him and they affected his life.



Uh oh, I have entered the city of guilt again. I already repented before God and made amends with my son. I have been blessed to receive forgiveness from them both. I must receive it and move on, praying for the Holy Spirit to help me guard my tongue so that I don't repeat the offences.





If you are still carrying around guilt over words you have spoken, repent before God and make amends with the person you spoke to**
**only if doing so won't bring harm to you or the other person**

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dear Lord, I pray that you would help me guard my tongue, that I might become fully cognizant of the power my words carry. Help me to learn restraint so that I don't speak in the heat of the moment. I pray for Your Spirit of love so that I can speak Love over everyone around me. After all, you have commanded me to love my neighbour as myself. 
In Jesus holy name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is intended to be a safe place where people can talk about their faith or learn more about Jesus Christ. It is not intended to be a debate club. Any offensive or inappropriate posts will be deleted.